Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What happened to the carrot?

The past two weeks haven't exactly been stellar for me. Chemo brain seems to be taking over lately in odd little ways. For instance, last week Wednesday I misplaced a birthday card within minutes of signing it. I had let Pearl outside and then gone into the kitchen to sign it while waiting for her, went to let her back inside when she barked, and when I came back to the kitchen the card was gone! I turned the house upside down looking for it...in the trash, in the refrigerator, in the oven, in the closet...who knows where I might have put it. But it was gone...vanished...poof! Over the next couple of days I kept looking, retracing my steps of that morning, certain it would appear but still not finding it. Until Jill was here this weekend, looking through the Christmas cards we've received and found it in the middle of them. I can't tell you how relieved I was!

Monday morning I had a vague memory of Rich showing me a present he had bought for one of the kids, but couldn't remember if the memory was real and, if it was, what I had done with the present. This happened again when shopping later in the day...I had a vague memory of already buying the gift I was again looking at, so I put it back and went home to take a look around the house. Fortunately, I found the gift that Rich had bought, and also the gift that I almost bought again. I guess what I was told about chemo brain sometimes lasting up to 10 years is true!

Yesterday, I had an appointment with my oncologist, just to review blood tests and how I'm doing in general. All the really important things are fine...I'm healthy again and only have ONE MORE chemo infusion, in January. But the news that I didn't like hearing was that my hair is most likely not going to grow back to being anything more than just the peach fuzz that it is now. She tossed out all of my theories and speculations and said that "we'll see what happens" once I'm totally done in January, but she didn't have much hope in her voice. I was crushed. At the onset of chemo there had always been a carrot at the end of the stick...that being all the possibilities of how my hair would grow back. No one ever mentioned the possibility of it NEVER growing back. I know that I'm lucky to be alive and well again, and that there are so many others who are not as fortunate as I am who have much bigger things to worry about. I remind myself of that daily and am so thankful for that, and remorseful when I feel sorry for myself. But dang it all, I never planned on being bald for the rest of my life...it's really hard to wrap my arms around that.

I appologized after whining about it to a dear friend of mine who is battling her own battle of cancer, because my reason seems so trivial compared to what she has gone through. But she wisely and graciously said to me that "it's little in the big scale of things, but big in the little scale of things, and in that little scale of things is where we live most of the time." I think she captured it perfectly.

I know of two other women who's hair didn't grow back after chemo and I'm going to call them after the first of the year and form our own support group. I'm sure there are others out there we can include and we'll call ourselves the "Beautiful Bald Babes". I think that's a great way to start the new year!

7 comments:

  1. Where you at cancer and hematology yesterday morning? With the really cute hair? If so, we were talking to each other for a while. (I'm the one with the two crazy little girls (: ) I enjoyed meeting you-I found your blog from my friend Robin's. I think bald is beautiful!

    Heather DeBoer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was me! I enjoyed meeting you, also, and think your hair is really cute, as are you! I hope that you enjoy a wonderful, long life with your beautiful girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marcia,
    Don't give up hope. You are still getting chemo and it can take 3 months or more for your hair to start growing back after chemo is completely over. My own hair would try to come back as the famed peace fuzz and would promptly fall out again with my next infusion. After my transplant it took 4 or 5 months for any noticeable hair to appear and still continues to grow very slowly. I'm not saying your doctor is wrong, but things can still turn around. Take comfort in knowing that you look beautiful either way. We try to be grateful for successful treatment and good health, but it is OK grieve the loss of parts of our former self as well. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!
    Love,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jan...I like what you said about it being okay to grieve the loss of parts of our former self. I know that to be true, and need to make more allowances to myself. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family, and a healthy and happy New Year! Love, Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Marcia,
    I too am crushed by the news of your hair. Yet, I've come to know better than ever through your blog that you are beautiful, bald or not. So your friend is right, on the big scale of things you are a winner. I was also thinking that on the small scale you'll not have to worry about dandruff and save a lot of money on hair products!
    Enjoy the holidays with your family.
    Love,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcia, I don't know if you remember me. I am a friend of Gail's whom also went through breast cancer, treatments and hair loss etc. I remember you sending me a book, and I STILL HAVE THAT BOOK. It is called "There is no place like Hope". I have seen you at the Susan G. Komen walks over the years..and always thought of you sending me that book (you didn;t even know me) AND then shorly afterward, facing your own battle. And now, I am sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis and battle in 2010 but it truly sounds as if you have it whipped! I do know a little bit about Herceptin - that is a great drug! When people ask me what I would do differently, if I had cancer again, I always say "I would spend a lot less time worrying about my hair!" You are truly a SURVIVOR and if your hair never came back (which I think it still will in several months) wear that perfectly shaped, cute head of yours, like a medal of honor! You deserve it. Bless you and your family. Connie Johnston

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Connie,
    Of course I remember you! It is so good to hear from you, and I hope that you are healthy and doing well! I'm terrible at recognizing people I haven't seen in years, so if you see me again at the Komen walk, please come up to me and say hi! Thanks for saying hi on my blog! Blessings to you and your family! Marcia

    ReplyDelete