Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bring out the hats and horns!

Yippee! Today was my last nasty chemo! Everything went smooth as clockwork...I got a good checkup with the doctor, got into a private room immediately (usually we have to start in the main sitting room with several other patients), my port worked, and my lunch bag didn't leak, at least not when I was using it (I put the ice in a baggy inside the lunch bag, which then leaked once the ice melted)! I have three more weekly, easy chemos before they are changed to being every three weeks through the rest of the year. I will definately be glad when that happens!

I am now losing my fingernails...augh! They started out looking like they had dark bruises on the nailbeds, but now that is turning to a yellowish color and the nails are loosening. I've been assured that they will all grow back quickly and normally...no deformities will occur, so I'm glad for that. I look like I have a bandaid fetish, though, as they are tender and I need to cover them to protect them!

Both Jill and Anne called me immediately after I got home, to celebrate the end of my nasty chemo with me. And a beautiful bouquet of flowers was delivered from Jill & Matt, to further congratulate me on my "marvelous adventure"! They have all been rocks through this, and I am so grateful for all of their love and support.

And my wonderful, thoughtful husband continues to spoil me! You remember he bought me red patent leather Kate Spade shoes before my surgery? Well, on the way home from my chemo today he looked over at me and asked me what was in the pocket of my car door. I looked, expecting to see something I had left by accident, and saw that there was a jewelry box there, instead! It was wrapped in silver paper with a big red bow...I was so surprised! Inside, was a beautiful diamond tennis bracelet, to celebrate the end of my nasty chemo! Oh, my!! What a wonderful surprise! I immediately put it on and I feel like a queen! And he is my knight in shining armor! His unfailing love and support has kept me going through the good and the bad, and I am so blessed to have him in my life.

P.S. We had one more celebration after dinner. Since I can't have any alcohol for the first five days after chemo, we went to Captain Sundae, where I got my usual Tommy Turtle!! Yum, yum!

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful news!! As to the bandaids-ever thought about using some of the funky ones? I think I still have a few from when the kids were little if you would like them (snoopy, etc) Many hugs, Shae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears are running down my cheeks. I'm so tickled for you that you had your last "big nasty". And what a big surprise from Rich and the girls. Can't wait to see your beautiful bracelet!!! That is so sweet. Yippee.
    Oh no, now I have a craving for a Tommy Turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcia,
    Congratulations, Marica! Your last day of 'nasty' chemo sounds like it was a great one! I'm going to have a Tommy Turtle to celebrate with you!
    Amy Devanney

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAYAYAY!!!! For being done with "Big Nasty's". Your WHOLE fam has been and will stay in my prayers... and I can't wait to stop in and see you sometime this summer when we come home for a visit!!! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete