Monday, May 24, 2010

The 25% club

Some of you have commented to me that you've never heard of some of the side effects I've had from chemo. Of the 15 or so possible side effects, I've experienced 10 of them! My nurse said that only 25% of chemo patients are usually affected by so many of the odd ones that have adopted me...I seem to be extra sensitive. Aren't I the lucky one?!

My latest side effect started just after my 5th nasty chemo infusion...my ankles became swollen. The swelling has seemed to come and go and not be bothersome until this past weekend when I was standing around quite a bit. My feet, ankles and lower legs/knees swelled up like sausages! It's all water retention from the chemo and, according to my research, it occurs just after the 5th cycle of taxotere (chemo), which puts me right on schedule! I've called my doctor and will probably be put on a diuretic to help get rid of the extra fluid. It sounds like I may be making frequent trips to the bathroom as a result, though!

The good news is, my energy level is slowly getting better! I still tire easily, but I'm feeling alot more alert and perky than I have in the past weeks. It should only get better with time!

No hair regrowth to report yet, but I do have some fuzz leftover from when Rich buzzed me. I'll probably be switching over to wearing scarves and baseball caps now, with the coming of the warm weather. And once I have some thickness to my fuzz, I'll muster up the courage to go bare-headed!

3 comments:

  1. glad you are getting that extra energy just in time for all the added potty runs!! Strange blessing in disguise. Sending you extra hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting through your 5th cycle. I've been seeing lots of baby ducks lately and loving their fuzzy look. So when you decide to go bare-headed...please know you'll be in very cute company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Marcia, sorry you had to be in the 25% club. Sounds like you still have your sense of humor. Miss seeing you! Hang in there, thinking about you all the time!

    ReplyDelete