Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Saline vs silicone

My implant surgery is fast approaching (June 14) and I had to make a decision as to which kind of implant I wanted so they could order it for me...saline filled or silicone filled. I've really struggled with this, as I want to make sure I choose what is best for me. I want the one that requires the least amount of worry or maintenance, as I've already had enough worry and maintenance issues to last a lifetime!

One of the main differences in the implants is how they feel. The saline implants tend to feel hard (like rocks, according to one friend) and the silicone implants are said to have a more natural feel to them. Which would make me inclined to go with the silicone. However, I have to consider the possibility of the implant rupturing, and what issues I would have to address with that. I googled the Mayo Clinic on what they had to say about implants and they restated that it was never proved that leaking silicone from implants caused any health issues, such as cancer, so from that viewpoint, both types of implant are equally safe to use. However, dealing with a ruptured implant is quite different between the two of them. Here is what the Mayo Clinic had to say:

"When a breast implant is placed in your body, a fibrous capsule of scar tissue typically forms around the implant. If a silicone breast implant ruptures, you may not notice right away — or ever. For that reason, the Food and Drug Administration recommends monitoring silicone breast implants with routine MRI scans every two years, starting three years after the initial implant surgery."

"If a silicone breast implant ruptures, the leaking silicone gel may cause inflammation of the fibrous capsule and the formation of additional scar tissue. The result may be a hard capsule around the breast implant that may distort the shape of your breast and cause pain or discomfort. If this happens, you'll need surgery to remove the ruptured implant. A new implant can likely be inserted at the same time."

"If a saline breast implant ruptures, the implant will deflate — causing the affected breast to change in size and shape. The leaking saline solution will be absorbed by your body without posing any health risks, but you'll probably need surgery to remove the silicone shell. A new implant can likely be inserted at the same time."

After reading both of these explanations, I have come to a decision...SALINE! It seems to have the least issues to deal with, and that's what I'm looking for. Neither option lasts a lifetime, so I know I'm looking at another surgery, ten or more years down the road to replace it. In the meantime, I hope you never see me looking lopsided. If you do, it'll mean I've deflated and I really don't want that to happen!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marcia,
    I've been thinking about you a lot! I'm glad you are done with your "bad" chemo, but I know that you still have milder treatments scheduled for the rest of the year. I'm amazed at all the side effects you have had to deal with! I know that the side effects really bring forward in your mind the power of those chemo drugs. In a way it was a comfort because you knew that they were attacking all the cancer cells in your body. At the same time you are worried that they will do irreparable harm to the rest of your body. I was pretty lucky. We kept the nausea under control (for the most part) with medication and other than extreme fatigue and mouth sores I was able to cope pretty well. I did have some strange episodes where the chemo killed the outer layer of my skin and it peeled off like a healing sunburn. I also had some weird rash-less itching that drove me crazy. All in all I'm very grateful to be done with all treatments! I'm 8 and a half months post transplant now and I'm doing very well. My biggest gripe is about my hair! It has always grown very slowly, but it still is only a couple of inches long. Even though it is still pretty "butch" I've sworn off all the scarves and wigs. What a relief! I hope your hair grows back faster than mine! You will be in my thoughts as you undergo your implant surgery. Good luck and stay strong. Your sense of humor and positive attitude will see you safely through to the healthy side of life! We are survivors! Say hi to Rich.
    Love to you both,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thinking of you and praying for you this week.....glad to hear about the blood flow and eager to hear more good news coming from you. You are a celebrity...many people here have asked if that was our Alma friend in the paper, but could not imagine that she was the same age as us....of course I said that Rich married much younger...love to you , bob and carole

    ReplyDelete