Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Feeling good!

This morning I have an appointment to see my oncologist and then get my chemo infusion. It's so nice to only be going every three weeks now, rather than weekly. It seems like a long time has passed, and a lot has happened, since my last infusion. My port has been cleaned out and I now have a new "girl"...all that in three weeks time! I'm feeling a little anxious, however, and am hoping that my port will be good to me today, but I'm taking a book and snack bars, just in case.

I continue to feel better and better! My energy level is returning in leaps and bounds (I'm walking 3 miles again, and played 9 holes of golf with a cart last week), my muscle stiffness is pretty much gone, my taste buds and appetite are back to normal, my water retention went away as did the extra pounds I gained, and the hair on my head is slowly coming back (no sign of eyelashes/brows yet). I still have the tearing eyes, but it is definately slowing down, finally. It's mostly just my right eye now, which is how it all started out, so I'm hoping that this means I'm nearing the end. In anticipation of having dry eyes again, I bought fake "glamour" eyelashes yesterday! I can hardly wait to try them and see how they look!

The funny thing about my feeling so good and much like my old self again is that I forget that I still don't LOOK like my old self, and so am always surprised by the person who greets me in the mirror! I'm not embarrassed anymore by my hairlessness, I just totally forget how others perceive me. I get special smiles or treatment from people in stores, which then reminds me that, oh yeah, I'm the woman with cancer. It doesn't upset me to be reminded of that...it just surprises me because in my own mind I'm not there anymore...I've moved on and feel healthy and spunky again!

I have discovered that I have developed a new fetish due to my baldness, however. Hats! Since I rarely wear my wigs anymore (Rich really prefers that I don't wear them...they're not "me"), I need hats! Even though my small head makes it a challenge to find them to fit me, I've managed to acquire quite a collection of them! But as I told Rich, it's like shoes...one color/style doesn't go with every outfit, you need variety! And we all know it's all about accessories! This weekend I discovered a trick to make my looser hats fit better...velcro! No, not on my head, as Rich suggested, but inside the brims of the hats. I glued just the soft, fuzzy half of the velcro around the inside of the hats and it provides just enough thickness to make them fit tighter! Yay! Now they don't slip over my eyes anymore!

Now that it's warm out, I'm driving my convertible more. I wasn't sure if I would want to drive it, being bald, and I was worried about my hats blowing off. But so far, my hats are staying on just fine, and I actually take them off sometimes because they can just be too hot to wear. So if you see a little bald-headed lady driving a cute, white convertible that's me! Now I just need to be sure to put sunscreen on my head so that my "virgin" skin doesn't burn! In the meantime, I seem to be acquiring freckles, as fill in for my hair!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you are feeling so well! Attitude and a sense of humor are half the battle! Keep up the good work!
    Love,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new look of your blog...it matches your new energy and on-going positive attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that you are truly "on the mend"!
    Jill Walters

    ReplyDelete