Monday, February 15, 2010

Who's the redhead sitting next to me in the movie theater? (a blog by Rich)

That’s just one of many questions that I have had over the last few months. We all get so used to being with those close to us that we sometimes do not really look at them anymore. Well, looking at Marcia with no wig and Marcia with a red wig still is still getting my attention! I really think hair is over-rated...especially as more of mine goes down the bathroom drain each morning.

I seem to be getting more comfortable with the questions that go along with cancer treatment. What is the long-term prognosis? How will she deal with the cumulative effects of the chemo treatments? How will I be able to shave her head? Will I be able to show the girls the same humor and courage that Marcia does so effortlessly? When will life return to normal?

The answers to these questions and more seem to come to me as time goes on. A sense of humor, a deep and loving personal relationship, a strong belief system, and the support of friends and family have made this just another challenge to confront together. Thank you all for your part in supporting us in many ways. The cards, phone calls, food, kind and supportive comments, and other kindnesses help more than you know.

One question I get a lot is, ‘How are you doing?’ Well, I think I’m doing pretty well. On Valentine’s Day, however, I wasn't so sure. I got Marcia a gift and two cards. One was a funny Valentine’s Day card, the other was a birthday card (her birthday is in October). Perhaps I am not doing as well as I think.

Thanks again for all your love and support.

2 comments:

  1. Rich, thank you for sharing your feelings so openly. Marcia is one of the most fortunate women I know because she has you in her court, helping her confront whatever lies ahead. You're her biggest fan!

    xo Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marcia,
    Still looking forward to coffee. Hopefully we can do that soon. Miss you at work terribly!
    Love,
    Lori Richardson

    ReplyDelete