Wednesday, February 17, 2010

You can call me Michael


I'm sitting here typing with cotton gloves on, as my hands are slathered with Bag Balm. My latest chemo side effects are cracked & peeling finger tips, and what looks like burns on the sides of my hands. Not too attractive or comfortable, but the Bag Balm has a soothing effect. The typing is a bit slow, as the gloves are not very tactile. But I'm muddling through, and my hands feel much better.

Yesterday was an interesting day for me. I had my "easy chemo" in the morning and when I arrived, all of the private rooms were filled so I had to sit out in the large gathering room with about nine other patients who were receiving their chemo. It was a mixed group of mostly older men and women, but there were a couple of women who were probably in their 30's...much too young to be dealing with cancer. Some were talking with their family or friends, one couple played cribbage, and some napped while their loving spouse quietly watched over them. The kindness of the nurses and the tender loving care of family and friends in this room was beautiful to see. I felt very humbled, and thankful that I have a chemo regiman that is tolerable and a cancer that is curable.

I did have a small problem with my port, though. My nurse, Wendy, needed to draw blood from it before giving me my chemo and it wasn't cooperating. She was able to flush it with saline to clear it, but it wouldn't let her draw any blood out of it, so I was given Heperin, a blood thinner, to break down any clotting that may be in the port. After waiting the required 30 minutes, Wendy came back and tried again and it still wouldn't draw blood. Wendy asked another nurse to check the line and make sure I was "plugged in" correctly and she said I was, so Wendy gave me a stronger dose of Heperin, and I waited another 30 minutes before she could try again. And again, it wouldn't draw blood. So I asked her if maybe she should "unplug me" and then "plug me in" again to see if maybe the needle was angled funny, and she did. And guess what...it worked!! So she hooked me up to my chemo bag, and away I went.

The fortunate thing about all the extra time I spent waiting for my port to work, is that I took my knitting with me and was able to finish my vest! And as soon as I got home I stitched all the pieces together and tried it on and.....well, it's okay, but I wouldn't win any knitting awards! But at least I finished it, and with barely any yarn to spare.

3 comments:

  1. The vest looks great...I hope you keep knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Mom! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to place an order for a MARCIA VEST! Just like yours. It looks great and I love the color. Wow you may have started a whole new career!! :)

    ReplyDelete