Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ketchup and Chocolate Chip Cookies

My tastebuds are starting to play funny tricks on me. Things that used to taste wonderful to me, now either have no taste at all, or have no appeal to me anymore. Rich and I went out for hamburgers the other night and I put ketchup on my fries and on my burger...and ended up scraping it all off immediately! I couldn't tolerate the taste anymore...it was awful! Just the thought of ketchup suddenly made me want to gag! I had to quickly call Anne to tell her, because neither she or her boyfriend, Kellen, like ketchup in any way, shape or form and I knew she would be thrilled to add me to their club! She laughed when I told her, but then asked me not to bake or eat any chocolate chip cookies for fear that the same thing would happen to those, and she thinks I make the best cookies in the world!

I had been told earlier by another chemo survivor that if there's anything I wish I DIDN"T like to eat so much, that I should eat it during chemo because I would probably grow to dislike it and never eat it again. I can see the truth to that theory, already. I no longer have cravings for any of the Super Bowl foods I couldn't get enough of. Cookies and cake and anything sweet has no appeal anymore. Nothing really calls to me when it comes to meal time. Weird things are popping up in my diet trials now, like Spaghettios did today. For some reason, that old stand-by for when my kids were little had some appeal to me, so I ate a few bites along with some crackers and peanut butter. Not bad. I didn't eat much of it (I didn't want to jinx a good thing) but I figured I at least got some carbs and protein in my tummy. Last night a friend brought dinner over and some freshly cut fruit. I couldn't get enough of the fruit! It was the most delicious thing I had ever tasted! Thank goodness for all you kind souls who are bringing dinners to us during these nasty chemo days, or who knows what we would be eating. Not much, that's for sure. Thank you again, from the bottom of our hearts (and tummies!).

1 comment:

  1. How cool! I want to know what your word is!

    ReplyDelete