Thursday, March 18, 2010

Comments from the peanut gallery (that'd be Rich)

I thought it was time to give you all a medical update. We spoke to the oncology doctor on Tuesday and received a very positive update. Marcia is reacting well to the Chemo. Her white blood cell count is not too low and she is recovering well from the ongoing treatments. She has two more major treatments, with the last one occuring on April 27. Since it takes a couple of weeks to start feeling better, we expect to return to some resemblance of normal in mid May. She will continue a less invasive treatment every three weeks from May through the end of the year. These are not expected to be major (easy for me to say) and the hair will come back and the other side effects diminish in May. The doctor indicated that the long term prognosis is excellent with little active follow-up. June brings a final reconstruction surgery. We are thankful for great doctors, caring nurses, and complete health insurance. We don't know what we would do if we didn't have all three.

Many of you have asked how I am doing. Well, I'm doing okay... just okay. We have certainly learned that Marcia is the real source of personal strength in our household. In other words, I think I am the weenie! We have received many kindnesses from you in the form of meals, phone calls, cards, prayers, and positive thoughts. In the past, I have heard, and sometimes said, we are thinking/praying for you. To be honest, until this process, I never really understood what they meant. During this process, I think I have actually pysically felt your support. I sometimes think I can reach out and touch a cloud of support and caring that seems to surround us. It has reminded me of the importance of moving beyond the daily events of our lives and remembering the things that matter the most. We have always learned from the medical challenges in our family and you all have taught us how to gracefully receive help and appreciate what others can do for us. I think it will make us both more thoughtful as other people in our lives deal with life's challenges. Thanks.

We expect to lay low for the next eight weeks. When spring and Tulip Time arrives, we will re-emerge and move on. We will not, however, forget what you have meant to us during this time.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ya'll (okay that was a give-away!) Your friends in Georgia are thinking about you two and glad to see that Marcia has that positive update from the physicians! The tulips will bloom earlier for us down here and that will keep you on the front of our minds and in our prayers until Spring has sprung for you. Stay positive! Love, Anne and Robert Trulock

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you told us where to find the comments box!
    How great that you have discovered the ice secret----I think that should be standard operating procedure that all people receiving that drug should know.
    Congrats on getting thru another Big Nasty!!! I hope that is your last one since it is April.
    HAPPY SPRING and wishing you continued strength and good health!
    Love, Jill W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news about the ice. Those burns looked really painful. Glad you got thru this last treatment without the fire. Aren't the tulips beautiful and the trees too. I love spring.
    LIPEO, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete