Monday, March 1, 2010

Hats, wigs or scarves?

Well, the novelty has worn off. I'm not as enamored with wearing wigs as I first was. Not having bad hair days seems to be in the past, or I've lost my touch, as I can't seem to feel comfortable with my wigs on anymore. The bangs seem to be in my eyes, or the back feels like it's inching up like a rubber band about to be released. I check to make sure it's on right, and usually it only needs a slight adjustment to make it straight, but it still doesn't feel right. But I guess the real question is, what feels right about wearing a wig?

I stopped at Macy's on my way home from having my car serviced today and wore my wig so that I would look "normal". I wanted to see if they had any cute hats. But as I stood in front of the mirror with a couple of hats in hand, I wondered how I was going to try them on. What a strange feeling that was! I decided to fake having to try something on in the dressing room (I thought it would look strange taking just hats in), and walked around until I found a shirt I could pretend I wanted and took it and the hats inside. I then went to the very last dressing room so that there'd be no chance of anyone walking by and seeing me pluck my hair off my head. Ahhhh, it felt so good to take my wig off for those few moments...and it felt so normal.

I did come home with two new hats, but after wearing one of them for a while, realized that it was too warm to wear as an inside hat. What a dummy I was...they were fleece hats to wear outside in the cold, not inside in the warm! But they were so soft and cozy! I then decided that maybe I needed to try scarves instead, so I untied the scarf I had around my neck and tried to see if I could do anything creative with it on my head. I folded it in half lengthwise and tied it in the back and then twisted it up around the sides and tied/twisted it on the top of my head. Voila! I think I'm on to something! It certainly is a lot cooler than a hat or wig, and with all the twisting involved, it gives my tiny little head some added dimension! This just may be the new me!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, scarf lady. I'm sure I'll like the new you as much as I love the old you! I'll call tomorrow or Friday to catch up.

    xoxo
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog post needs a picture of the new you. Love reading your thoughts. Keep them coming

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife had that similar moment before, when she had to choose between hats, scarves, and wigs. At first, she was reluctant to go for wigs because it's the most expensive of the three, but when she tried on those Motown Tress wigs, it hit her. She doesn't care about the price after all. What she's after is the value of the product. It was a good choice, right Marcia?

    ReplyDelete