Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chemo today

Today my chemo adventure began, and driving to the oncology center I was full of questions and nervous anticipation. How was I going to feel being there with all the other chemo patients…how was I going to react to the drugs…was I going to feel anything right away? Surprisingly, I didn’t feel any differently after I was finished. It was almost anticlimactic.

The center has about 9 private rooms, each with either a bed or reclining chair, as well as a regular chair for your “guest”. There’s a lamp on the counter if you want softer light, and a television on the wall. There also is a large, open room by the nurse’s station that has 9 or 10 reclining chairs, as well as regular chairs but, fortunately, I was able to have a private room, which is especially nice when you’re going to be there for several hours.

After settling into my recliner, covered with a nicely warmed blanket and my iPod in my ears, I was given five separate drip bags with Benadryl first, to counteract any allergic reactions I might have. Then came Herceptin (chemo), then anti-nausea, then Taxotere (chemo), and finally Carboplatin (chemo). They all "plugged" into my port which was surgically placed in my upper left chest when I had my mastectomy, and that was great...I didn't feel a thing! They even drew blood from it...no more poking my veins! It all took about 5 1/2 hours and I basically napped, read magazines, napped, did my soduko and crossword puzzles, napped and went to the bathroom alot! Rich was able to walk next door to get us lunch and then we came home when it was all over. We both were exhausted, but pleased that it all went so smoothly.

I’ll go back tomorrow for a shot (Neulasta) which will encourage my bone marrow to produce more white platelets to fight infection, and that is what will probably make me feel achy all over. I'm anticipating being very tired tomorrow, and feeling yucky for the next couple of days, but maybe I'll be surprised. I will be drinking all the water recommended and take my medicines and hope that helps.

Meanwhile, I'll be snuggling with Pearl and watching lots of movies for the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment