Saturday, January 30, 2010

There's a bald woman in my mirror!

It's done! My hair has been shaved off by Rich the barber (I hope he keeps his bank job, though)! We did it first thing this morning so that I could shower afterwards and wash the remains off of my body. I didn't want to repeat yesterday's shower experience... gobs of hair came out when I washed it, dried it and attempted to put goop in it. The floor and countertop were covered with hair! If I had known where the clippers were, I would have shaved it off myself! So I actually feel wonderful about the whole thing. I feel FREE (the song "I'm Free" by The Who is cycling in my brain!) and relieved that it's behind me. It's one more thing that I have met head on and conquered!

I don't really recognize myself in the mirror yet. I look vaguely familiar, but...what happened to the redhead? I actually have a fine stubble left on my head...and it's mostly gray again! I've been wearing a hat today, but find that my head does get a bit warm with it on. But I'm not ready to go bare yet! When Rich and I did some errands this morning, I saw an acquaintance at the store and she didn't recognize me at first. I'm sure I will get that alot, especially once I wear my wigs. I do feel like I'm wearing a big "C" on my forehead, now that I no longer have my own hair. I guess I was able to pretend that all was normal, while I still looked the same.

But you know what? I'm going to have fun with my new wigs and hats! I'm still me underneath it all, and I'm a breast cancer warrior (I've got new Nike hot-pink tennis shoes to prove it)! This is the last of the "unknowns", and I have come through as the victor!

Oh...in case you were wondering about my having wine in the morning. I decided that a batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies would be even better! Yum, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment