Sunday, January 31, 2010

Who's the strange lady in the bathroom, seeing me naked?

That's what Rich said to me this morning when I put on my wig to wear out for the first time! Believe me, I felt the same way when I saw myself in the mirror. I decided that wearing my wig to church today would be a "gentle" debut for me. Even though I love how my wig looks on me, I was quite nervous to actually be presenting myself to the world at large. On the way to church I kept checking it in the mirror (my bangs need to be cut...they hang in my eyes) and patting it down, making sure it was secure. Rich had reminded me this morning of the time a girl he briefly dated in college wore a wig to a TGIF dance, and when she drunkenly fell down in the middle of the dance floor, her wig popped off her head! HE was mortified, SHE was too drunk to know, I was secretly pleased! So he had teasingly told me to make sure my wig didn't fall off. Thanks alot!

My debut went off beautifully, though. Those who knew me already loved it and said I looked like I was 35 (not 12!). And those that didn't know me before being a redhead thought it was the most natural looking wig they had ever seen. One gal just plain complimented me on my hair, not knowing me at all! It was a good feeling. Tomorrow morning I go the the wig shop to have my wigs trimmed and fitted to my head. Now that I don't have any hair, they fit looser and need to be taken in, however that works!

I've had people comment on how upbeat and perky I am. Well, that's the only way I know to face what life puts before you. If anyone is having a hard time with all of this, it's Rich. He is the best supporter I could ever ask for, and is always positive and upbeat with me. But he also seems to be working overtime in the worry department and keeps wondering why he's so tired all of the time, calling himself a wienie! But he's no wienie...it's because he is doing the worrying for both of us!

4 comments:

  1. You are a brave and wonderful woman. Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us!

    Love, Barb N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pass on my thanks to Jill for getting your blog launched. Keep the pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your debut went well! You are one strong, BRAVE woman! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Marcia ... you are an inspiration to many! Love, Jeni

    ReplyDelete